Since 2015, PAGE has been supporting Jiangsu Province with macro-level green economy policy monitoring and advising sectoral policy in the areas of green industrial development, trade and capacity building. To further support its development vision “Ecological Civilization” in China, the Ministry of Ecology and Environment has published a series of 14 articles highlighting the efforts of Jiangsu Province as an example of best practice in green development.
In 2019, the Jiangsu Provincial Department of Ecology and Environment took the lead in formulating the “Pilot Plan for the Integration and Reform of Eco-environmental Policies in Industrial Parks in Jiangsu Province”, focusing on improving environmental management, implementing stringent pollution control measures and supporting green development. Through an integrated approach involving comprehensive implementation of green development policies, Jiangsu was able to overcome various challenges facing Industrial Parks such as high governance costs, lack of environmental protection infrastructure and hidden environmental violations.
On the provincial level, Jiangsu has reformed environmental impact assessments, strengthened sustainable infrastructure construction and pollution prevention, and innovated environmental governance models, supported through initiatives such as the “integrated financial service center” established in Jiangyin High-tech zone to build a green financial platform, gathering banks, insurance firms and other financial institutions to provide enterprises with green financial services.
At the city level, comprehensive strategies have been established to enact green development in practice, highlighted through the articles with each focusing on a different city in Jiangsu. Nanjing has made concerted efforts to conserve and restore the ecology of the Yangtze River through integrating protection of the river throughout the city’s development strategies. In the “Hundred-Year Coal City” of Xuzhou, a Just Transition is ongoing through the shift towards low-carbon enterprises whilst supporting afforestation, ecological corridors and sustainable land management.
The links to all articles (in Chinese) can be found below.
- Jiangsu: green industrial park – ecology and environment policy reform
- Nanjing: incorporating river protection into municipal governance
- Jiangyin: Yangtze river conservation
- Xuzhou: green and just transition of a coal-mining city
- Liyang: the integration of industry, livelihood and ecology
- Suzhou: accelerating green development
- Nantong: ecological restoration of the Yangtze
- Lianyungang: clean river, lake and bay
- Yancheng: economic and ecological development
- Huai’an: ecological restoration of rivers and lakes and sustainable development
- Yangzhou: economic and green development
- Zhenjiang: the green development of Shiye Island
- Taizhou: clean fire power plant
- Sihong: constructed wetland (natural/green infrastructure) for wastewater treatment (Nature-based Solutions)