In recent years, India has been shifting from select initiatives in areas such as green jobs to embracing a larger scale and more integrated economy-wide approaches, including areas like circular economy and waste-to-wealth.
In this context, PAGE kicked off in India with an Inception Workshop, held in November 2018, convening national counterparts and other green economy stakeholders.
To begin its programme of work in India, PAGE has initiated:
- A stocktaking study to define priorities for PAGE’s engagement;
- A national-level workshop and consultation on IGE priorities;
- Planning of state-level stakeholder consultations in several regions to capture different perspectives on IGE opportunities and challenges.
PAGE’s work in India will build upon:
- An existing UN Discussion Paper on circular economy in India, prepared by the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office
Opportunities for Green Economy Action in India
- Enhance national initiatives on resource efficiency, with particular focus on SDG 12.
- Provide support for the implementation of the national resource efficiency roadmap.
- Support national priorities pertaining to sustainable public procurement.
- Support the modernization of the micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprise sector.
- Build synergies with other green economy-aligned initiatives, such as SWITCH Asia, 10YFP and and the ILO’s 2018-2022 Decent Work Programme.