In recent years, PAGE partner agencies have provided diverse forms of support for green economy action in Guatemala, including assisting in the development of the Environmental Economy Strategy, a policy toolbox to help achieve national climate change and natural resources objectives.
Against this backdrop, PAGE met with national counterparts in September 2018 to set the objectives and parameters for its work in the country. Capitalizing on this opportunity, PAGE was also presented to Members of Parliament, regional authorities, the private sector and academia.
To begin its engagement, PAGE has:
- Began consultations with the Ministry of Public Finance; and
- Engaged with the UN Resident Coordinator as well as SIDA and GIZ.
Opportunities for Green Economy Action in Guatemala
- Help operationalize the National Development Plan K’ATUN, Nuestra Guatemala 2032.
- Support Guatemala in realizing its international commitments to the SDGs and NDCs.
- Develop a public investment strategy for climate change adaptation and mitigation.
- Support policy reform around greenhouse gas emissions, solid waste, water, renewable energy, energy efficiency and tourism.